Tuesday, February 24, 2009

School Frustration

My daughter is painfully shy. She does not like to have attention fall on her, and at times will not speak or even look at people she doesn't know or doesn't know well. Even people she does know and likes still may not get much outward attention from her.

Because of this my wife and I have struggled with what to do this fall when kindergarten starts. We are worried that a classroom full of kids and a teacher could exacerbate her problems and set her back. But we also wonder if home schooling would prevent her from coming out of her shell too.

We decided that by talking to and working with her teacher we would make a go at school. However, it would take a teacher with experience and understanding. There are four kindergarten teachers at our school, two of which we believe would be the best for our daughter. We've spoken with one of these teachers about it and she told us to mention our situation when we registered for school and we could work it out.

Monday morning my wife went to the school to register our daughter in kindergarten. She talked to a woman at the registration desk and explained our situation. The woman rolled her eyes and said she'd see what she could do. My wife again stressed the importance of getting the right teacher for our daughter, and that she had spoken to someone before who assured her it wouldn't be a problem. This woman again brushed off my wife. Trying to stress the importance of what she was asking, my wife said that if we can't get the right teacher for our daughter, then our only alternative would be to home school her. The woman then looked at my wife and said something akin to "we don't respond well to threats here."

Ma'am, there is no threat here. We are trying to make the best decision in regards to our daughter's progress and education. School could be either the best or worst thing to happen to her at this point in her short life. My son has been at this school for two years now and I have remained silent as he sat bored by 1st year teachers with little ability to organize a classroom let alone keep him interested. These teachers try hard and mean well, but they have been unable to stimulate his learning.

Meanwhile there are other teachers at this school with more experience. They are beloved by everyone lucky enough to have their children assigned to their class. I can work with my son at home to stimulate his desire to learn. But my daughter absolutely needs a teacher who will be patient with her while at the same time challenge her. These teachers exist. They even work at my school. I want one, and I won't take no for an answer.

2 comments:

Ashlee said...

she is such a cutie, too! The hard part for teachers is that in order to become the more experienced, well-loved teachers they have to go through those first few years of trial and error. Your wee one does need special attention, though. I'm sure the lady with the rolling eyes deals with individuals who request special teachers with no valid reason. I know it happens in my school. Sadly, it taints school officials for those who truly do have valid reasons. Hopefully things work out in your favor.

Anonymous said...

You and your wife really need to consider homeschool. It is the best option you have. Only if your wife is 100% opposed to schooling at home should you not pursue this option.

Think about it.

The decision is not to start homeschooling, but whether or not you will stop. You've been homeschooling your children since you brought them home from the hospital. The decision is to stop doing that and send them to government schooling.

Who would be a better teacher for your daughter than your wife?