Monday, December 29, 2008

May The Lord Help Me So To Do

"When the Saints trickled into the Salt Lake Valley, all they owned, or could hope to get, was carried in a wagon, or they must make it themselves."They marked off the temple site before even the rudest log home was built."There was an architect in that first company, William Weeks, who had designed the Nauvoo temple. But the hopeless desolation was too much for him. When President Young went east in 1848, Brother Weeks left, saying, 'They will never build the temple without me' (see Thomas Bullock Journals, 1844-1850, 8 July 1848, Church Archives).

"Truman O. Angell, a carpenter, was appointed to replace him. He said:
'If the President and my brethren feel to sustain a poor worm of the dust like me to be Architect of the Church, let me . . . serve them and not disgrace myself. . . . May the Lord help me so to do'
(Truman O. Angell Journal, 1857-8 Apr. 1868, 28 May 1867, Church Archives)."
Boyd K. Packer, "The Temple, the Priesthood," Ensign, May 1993, 19

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I love, love, love church history journals and quotes. This is very interesting... I feel very humbled when I compare my life to the lives of those who lived during that time.

Cameron said...

I love reading old journals and such as well. But I think we have just as many hurdles as those that preceded us, if not more so.